Transcripts and Tax Information

The IRS recommends that you keep copies of your tax returns for your records. Preparing future tax returns, applying for loans, and applying for student financial aid are a few examples of when you may need copies of your filed tax returns.

Balance account money

If you can’t find your copies of your tax returns, the IRS can provide you with one, or a transcript of the tax information you need. These are free requests you can order by phone, mail, or fax for the current year and up to the past three years. Receiving a copy of your processed tax return however costs $50 for each tax year requested, and are generally available for the current year and up to the past six years.

If you request a transcript, according to the IRS it will contain:

“…your marital status, the type of return you filed, your adjusted gross income and taxable income. It does include any changes that you or the IRS made to your tax return after you filed it. A tax return transcript shows most line items from the tax return that you filed. It also includes items from any accompanying forms and schedules that you filed. It doesn’t reflect any changes you or the IRS may have made after you filed your original return.”

In most cases, the transcript will contain the tax information you will need. After a request has been put in and has been processed, you should receive yours within five to ten days. For tax returns, you should allow 75 days for delivery.

Need help requesting a tax transcript, or simply in need of help completing your tax returns? Contact us today at 407.892.1066.


Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *