If you or anyone in your family purchased health coverage through the Marketplace and had advance payments of the Premium Tax Credit paid in advance to your insurance company to lower your monthly premiums, it is important to report life changes to the Marketplace when they happen.
- Changes to income
- Changes in health coverage:
- Someone in your household getting an offer of job-based coverage, even if they don’t enroll in it
- Someone in your household getting coverage from a public program like Medicaid, CHIP, or Medicare
- Someone in your household losing coverage, like job-based coverage or Medicaid
- Changes to your household or individual members:
- Birth or adoption
- Placing a child for adoption or foster care
- Becoming pregnant
- Marriage or divorce
- A child on your plan turning 26
- Gaining or losing a dependent some other way
- Moving to a permanent address in your state. Note: Don’t update your application if you move out of state. See what to do when you move out of state.
- Correction to name, date of birth, or Social Security number
- Changes in status:
- Change in disability status
- Change of tax filing status
- Change of citizenship or immigration status
- Change in status as an American Indian/Alaska Native or tribal member
- Incarceration or release from incarceration
Reporting life changes as they happen allows the Marketplace to adjust your advance credit payments. This will help you avoid a smaller refund or unexpectedly owing taxes when you file your tax return.
Sources: IRS.gov and Healthcare.gov