If summer plans include starting a business, be sure to visit IRS.gov. The IRS website has answers to questions on payroll and income taxes, credits and deductions plus more.
New business owners may find the following four IRS tax tips helpful:
- Business Structure. An early choice to make is to decide on the type of structure for the business. The most common types are sole proprietor, partnership and corporation. The type of business chosen will determine which tax forms to file.
- Business Taxes. There are four general types of business taxes. They are income tax, self-employment tax, employment tax and excise tax. In most cases, the types of tax a business pays depends on the type of business structure set up. Taxpayers may need to make estimated tax payments. If so, use IRS Direct Payto make them. It’s the fast, easy and secure way to pay from a checking or savings account.
- Employer Identification Number (EIN). Generally, businesses may need to get an EINfor federal tax purposes. Search “EIN” on IRS.gov to find out if the number is necessary. If needed, it’s easy to apply for it online.
- Accounting Method. An accounting methodis a set of rules used to determine when to report income and expenses. Taxpayers must use a consistent method. The two most common are the cash and accrual methods:
- Under the cash method, taxpayers normally report income and deduct expenses in the year that they receive or pay them.
- Under the accrual method, taxpayers generally report income and deduct expenses in the year that they earn or incur them. This is true even if they get the income or pay the expense in a later year.
Get all the basics of starting a business by contacting Account On Us
Account On Us offers many services for individuals such as income tax preparation, estate tax preparation, gift tax preparation, IRS inquiries, audits and tax planning. If you have a personal tax or accounting need, please contact Osceola County’s most trusted accounting service, tax preparation and payroll service provider. Call us today at (407) 892-1066 or contact Account On Us today! We are here to help!