Claiming an Elderly Parent as a Dependent

Portrait of a candid senior couple enjoying their retirement

The IRS allows you to claim your elderly parent as a dependent on your tax return as long as both of you meet the following criteria:

  • You are not a dependent of another taxpayer.
  • Your parent, if married, does not file a joint return.
  • Your parent is a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, U.S. resident alien, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.
  • You paid more than half of your parent’s support for the calendar year.
  • Your parent’s gross income for the calendar year was less than the exemption amount.
  • Your parent is not a qualifying child of another taxpayer.

The tax rules for claiming an elderly parent or relative are complex. If you have any questions, please give Account On Us a call at  (407) 892-1266. We’re here to help you.


Share This Post On

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *